Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Dallas Hurricanes, Cowboy Boots, & Good Friends

    As I've mentioned, this past weekend was Carrollton's first annual festival and it was a huge success!  Despite the small hurricane that blasted through Dallas last Saturday, I did manage to stay happy, warm, and optimistic with help from a lot of friends, both new and old.
 
   Friday was a whirlwind of setups, rearranging, lots of lifting, and finally....relaxing excitement. Michell was there to keep me on track (aka remind me what I was supposed to be doing) and was such a huge help.  She educated me in the delicacy that is the Fletcher's corndog AND kept me out of the local antique boutique! I also met Oscar, the first curious merchant to step out of his store and ponder at my odd display setup. I wasn't paying much attention as I tried to carry on a brief conversation about what I made and sold, all while scurrying around in circles. Unbeknown to me,  Oscar is the warm and friendly owner of  Custom Color Fine Jewelers! Ha! His store was located just a bit behind my booth and they provided me with some much needed dry space, friendly conversation, and a complimentary ring cleaning while we weathered out Saturday's storm.  Their specialty custom jewelry was to die for! Every color of sapphire imaginable set in unique matte silver bracelets/cuffs and one of a kind platinum pendants.

   Saturday's weather was starting to put me out until Lizzie came to see me!  Lizzie, for those who don't know, is one of The Artful Bead's most valued customers, a favorite student of mine, and a gifted jewelry maker who likes to try almost anything. Lizzie likes to think of herself as my PR Manager or Marketing Coordinator and she does a fantastic job, lol.  I'm still a bit shy when it comes to introducing my work but she makes sure everyone (the family dog included) knows that Lindsay's jewelry is "out of this world". Thanks Lizzie for the support, the company, and helping me get my booth moved. Val and BBear were there to help me as well, I couldn't ask for better friends, really. 

   Yep, you read that right, my booth was moved.  After the downpour in the afternoon, the Festival coordinators and volunteers were helping all the remaining vendors/crafters move their tents to a better location. I ran into Ken, (or did he run into me), from Vintage Martini in the process and was able to set up right outside of his shop.  Ohhhh, now I knew this spelled trouble but I couldn't resist!  After finding this jewel of a boutique last year (yes, I'm a late bloomer) I have had to refrain, many times, from drooling all over their merchandise.  They simply have THE best in quality vintage clothing and accessories in Dallas.  Not to mention the hilarious gift cards by Ken (I'm presuming). My Amykins enjoyed "The Martini" as much as I did and walked away with a new forest green hat!  After all that fun, she was still able to help me load up!  It was a great (if exhausting) weekend.

   I'll be doing one last show (until December) this coming Saturday at the Coppell Fall Festival Farmer and Crafts Market.  I hope to see you there!
  



    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment