Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I've been playing in the garage again!

CCL HoI. All Rights Reserved 2010.



    My most recent Disaster  produced some awesome bangles that I'm in love with.  I usually wear 2 or 3 at a time and have been constantly rearranging little piles of beads/charms/etc. that I think create a theme for each bracelet.  This line of bangles I have named "Karma Charm" based on the first one I made for myself that incorporated a hand milagro. (More about milagros in the next post). Each bangle is made of copper, sterling, and brass with handmade patina goodies, vintage chain, stone, glass, or genuine African trade beads from the 19th cent. Having so many different types of material in a single piece makes me ecstatic!

CCL HoI. All Rights Reserved 2010.
     The heat (or much of anything else) hasn't stopped me from enjoying my favorite pastime. However, I am adding to my (imaginary) Christmas list a climate controlled studio. Good ole' air conditioning. Ahhhh, I can't really complain now....two months ago it was over 100 degrees in the garage until about 2am when it would slowly start to simmer down.  
    
     I never thought having an entire garage filled with tools (most of which I'm clueless about) could make me so happy. Most women would consider a pedicure or bubble bath their "alone time" but I cannot tell you how much I enjoy sitting on the old, scratchy, chartreuse 1960's chair, drinking a beer, and staring at a new pile of Disaster I have made....waiting for inspiration to hit me in the face.  Because that's usually how it happens as I'm sure a lot of you know.

Now, I'm definitely not the most time efficient or structured person but I do make the most of this waiting game. Actually, it is where the name House of Introspection came from.  I tend to do more thinking than making with my alone time but I'm starting to believe that's what it's about. When I would ask my Mother, as a child "where's Dad?" I already knew the answer 90% of the time: "out in the garage" she would say while shaking her head.  Now, I understand a bit more. 


 

1 comment:

  1. Yep, guess you got that "garage" thing from him. I like the garage too, as long as the temp is 70 deg or lower. I have to tell you, when I first read the title of the your post I thought it said "I've been playing in the garbage again." Love the braclets...and you can play in the garbage if you want too !

    ReplyDelete